5.19.2004

There and back again.

Today marks the beginning of week three of term two at EBC for me. Spring break has come and gone; now I’m in full swing, taking five classes this term. Mondays and Fridays, I’m taking classes on operating systems and computer concepts, as well as Intro to Business. Tuesdays and Thursdays, it’s Accounting and Keyboarding/math and English skill development. My toughest class is accounting, since that’s brand new to me; all the rest are fairly straightforward, putting a decent amount of work into completing the assignments for as many points as possible and gleaning what little new information is available. My intro to business prof came out and said the first day of classes that students had to work hard to fail his class. It’s amazing how little I’m doing in there compared to my other classes. That’s not to say that my computer classes are hard. I’m just going through the motions at present, but the teacher’s actually teaching for 90 minutes in my computer classes.

I’ve been stressed about money lately though. I’m still not quite sure how much of this term’s bill I’ll be paying now or with loans and grants later. Supposedly, the money I’ll be getting for fall term will also roll back to pay off my summer term, but the forms I filled out were for a school year ending this August. Oh well. I’m not even really the one footing the bill for what I owe right now; I’m borrowing money from my dad for school which is stretching the family’s already tight funds pretty thin.

The medical insurance industry can go suck eggs for all I care. For the past few years, my dad’s insurance had been supplied by a Blue Cross-related company, and mom’s kidney transplant treatment has been overseen by the Cleveland Clinic. Now, for whatever reason, at the beginning of this year, the company’s switched to UMPC, based in Pittsburgh, and all of mom’s progress has been effectively rubbed out. Now she’s gotta retake many of the tests she took in Cleveland in Pittsburgh. Then there’s the question of which of the doctors we’ve been going to are also covered in the new plan. Major headache, that.

I’ve started pursuing orthodontics and/or oral surgery to fix my teeth. Well, dad’s got a bug in his bonnet to pursue it, and it’s not a bad idea. I’ve just been going along with how things were. It wouldn’t be bad to get this fixed, I’d just have to pretend I’d broken my jaw playing hockey to make having my jaw wired shut seem less than depressing. Plus two or so years of braces. We’ll see how this goes, I haven’t committed yet.

Speaking of hockey, Erie didn’t get the 2005 Memorial Cup. Surprise, surprise! London, Ontario, and their 2 year old 9000 seat arena will get the honor. I know we need a new building before the city gets serious consideration for a tournament of this importance to the Canadian people. Still, it stung a bit when we didn’t get named. We’ll just have to play our way into the tournament, and see how those northerners like us then.

So anyway, things are pretty steady, all things considered. I’m working on the things I can do something about, and letting everything else settle itself out. Goodness knows, this won’t be anywhere near the new character limit, but it’s what I’ve got to say, and I’ve said it.

No comments: